There Are Two Types of Amazake
1. Low-alcoholic drink made with lees left from sake
2. Non-alcoholic drink made with Koji rice, this can be enjoyed by everyone including small children and pregnant ladies. When consumed in moderation, especially if you’re diabetic. Just one cup in a day is enough to provide you these health benefits below.
improved skin (prevent spots and freckles, skin lightening, moisturizing)
• 1 cup (200 g) Japanese short grain rice (sushi rice white or brown)
• 7 ounces (200 g) Koji rice
• Water (chlorine free) as needed
1. Cook the rice according to your rice cooker’s instruction.
2. Add warm water, 1/4cup at a time, stir thoroughly until it meets the texture of porridge and temperature has to cool down to 140 ºF (60 ºC) as Koji mold cannot live above that temperature.
3. Add the Koji rice. Stir thoroughly to incorporate. Make sure there is enough water to maintain texture & temperature at 140 ºF (60 ºC).
4. Set Rice Cooker to “keep warm” and cover with a cloth towel. Leave the lid fully open so it does not get too hot. Cook for 8-10 hours, stirring occasionally and checking the temperature of the mixture every hour for the first 2-3 hours. Make sure it stays between 125 and 140 ºF (50-60 ºC) at ALL TIMES.
5. Once it’s done cooking, the mixture should smell sweet. transfer into a large sterilized container. You can keep in the fridge up to one week, or freezer for up to a month.
6. Serve warm or chilled (not hot for fully benefit) With grated ginger (optional) or mix into smoothies.
How to make Koji Rice:
How to make Shio Koji:
#japanesesuperfood #amazake #sweetsake #fermentation